JellyPages.com

Thursday 11 July 2013

Why the 19th???

Every regiment needs a name, and a regimental unit number, the Mordian 19th, called Centurions of the Citadel, defenders of the Tetrarchal Palace, actually got their regimental designation based on one of my favorite series of novels. I am sure there are other Mordian 19ths and some might have even picked the designation before I did. I know there is reference in Imperial Armour 1 to the 19th Mordian Armoured division, This is no way an attempt to follow that piece of fluff or build on that backstory. I chose the number 19 because of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
While I admit that some of King's work is a little bizarre, he is one of the authors I most enjoy, and this particular series is one of my all time favorites. The number 19 is a recurring theme that binds the protagonists together. Other characters and facets of my regiment borrow some names and  features from literature I have read, both historical and fictional.
A quick glance at my bookshelves makes it obvious that I have penchant for science fiction and fantasy. some other authors that are tops of my favorite list include: Robert Heinlein (all wargamers should read "Starship Troopers" the book is nothing like the movie), Tolkien; both the novels (although I still cant finish the "Silmarillion") and the movie treatments of Peter Jackson, Neil Gaimen, Isaac Asimov, and Ray Bradbury. Special mention goes to Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman for their work on Dragonlance and to various authors of both Star Wars and Star Trek novels. I am sure I am forget some other big names.
That's where the regimental number came from, the name "Centurions of the Citadel, defenders of the Tetrarchal Palace" came from my own brain, and fits nicely in with the Mordian fluff from the various Codices Imperial Guard.
MedicMike July 11, 2013    

3 comments:

  1. I like the dragonlance reference! I borrow heavily for character names for my 40k armies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will definitely go into greater detail on other literary and popculture influences if future articles.

      Delete
  2. Nice blog Mike! I just restarted my IG in the form of Mordian Iron Guard. I used allot of Cadians in the past but for some reason they bore me a bit. I also j=have been playing 40k since 94/95. The memories of 2ed lol.

    ReplyDelete